None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 19 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:08 pm

My singleplayer enhancement mod

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My singleplayer enhancement mod

Post by Blaze on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:55 pm

I've managed to create a fair amount of new skins and stuff, the game feels pretty different to the original, it is so better that you would not go back to play the original one.  Here comes the deal; I'd like to release to you the beta of this mod ('beta' because there is so much that I still need to create), but it includes content that is not all mine. For instance it uses the awesome Baldo's weapon mod, and I need his permission to release my mod as it is.  Moreover it makes use of weapon sounds that come from different sources (other Nova games, mods for Novalogic games and so on).  If you guys think I can release it and if you are interested in re-playing the game just to notice all the changes I made, I'd be happy.
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My singleplayer enhancement mod

Post by Baldo_the_Don on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm comfortable enough with you using stuff I've edited up, especially my sight targas, but keep in mind that I've done a lot of edits since I put the Weapons Mod out, and I may have stuff you'd like better if you saw it. We can talk.

Otherwise, let me know if I can be helpful.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Right-click [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and choose "Save Target" to download the 13.9MB Baldos_Mod_Pack.zip from C.PPN02!

Also available from DFReload: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]!

Baldo_the_Don
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/BaldotheDon

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:09 pm

In fact I was talking about the sight targas, you've done a great job with them.  My mod is as of now for singleplayer only (I removed Multiplayer from the menu as well as the Multiplayer statistics in the player profile) but it is meant as an enhancement of the whole game with better skins, sounds and so on.

So all in all I'd be very interested in any of your mod updates, one day this mod could be a basis for some of you who still enjoy coop gaming.  Anyway I was thinking to release the mod just to you, LoneWolf and TedSmelly through PM, so then I also have your opinions on it.

Time ago I added a M14 (it is disabled as of now so you can't select it, unless you check the .def files) based on the stock M21 but with different skin, alpha channel, reloading animation (actually it is the M21 that gets a new anim from the one in Joint Ops).  I'd like some suggestions on how to make it on par with your weapons mod (values for weapon specific ammo.def and so on)
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:01 pm

LoneWolf, Baldo, Ted, check your PMs.
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Will do bud,down-loading now ty.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LoneWolf
Super Admin
Super Admin

View user profile http://lonewolfs.makeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:52 pm

It's like you said the skin's alone give the game a new feel, and the weapon sound's just makes it more realilistic to me.I have no complaints.

LoneWolf
Super Admin
Super Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:17 am

I'm glad to hear that.  Be sure to play the Weapons Range South map made by Novalogic, it allows you to try and test all weapons.  Many weapons got new and unique reloading sounds (unlike in the original where CAR15/M16 shared the same reloading sound, as well as the M60/M249/M240), new reloading animations made by Nova for their later games and so on.
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Baldo_the_Don on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:38 am

I can't agree entirely with Ted about the sound. It's a major nit that I have to pick with any mod, including my own, but getting sound right is a also a major pain in the ass, and I don't think anybody does it perfectly, not even NovaLogic. I'll detail my argument on sound another time.

I absolutely love the footsteps, though!

The skin on the Colt.45 needs tweaking. The reflections are reversed. It gets shadowy when it should reflect and reflects when it should shade.

I love the woodland pattern, though!

A bunch of the map symbols are missing, like for the emplaced weapons, power-ups and armories. The new symbols are really nice, though.

And I found one game crasher: if you attach to the VBL turret, the M60 model is not visible, and if you try to fire it, the game sysdumps. However, since it's my weapons mod screwing that up, I imagine I can fix it.

Altogether, I like what you've done.

Right-click [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and choose "Save Target" to download the 13.9MB Baldos_Mod_Pack.zip from C.PPN02!

Also available from DFReload: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]!

Baldo_the_Don
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:11 am

You are right about the sounds, I'm not completely satisfied with them.  Anyway the footsteps sounds and some others come from the sound mod pack available here, the author is deewoody so all credit to him.

The skin of the Colt .45 is not mine, comes form a mod for JO IIRC, anyway I'll surely rework it according to your useful note.

I removed some map symbols on purpose, it makes singleplayer a little more challenging for newcomers and for new maps, and sometimes it could be a motivation to explore a map in order to find ammo and med packs (otherwise too easy to find).  It can be 'solved' easily though, I just removed the relevant bits from a .tga texture, don't remember which though.

Strange about the VBL, I remember it worked, maybe I made a mess in the weapon.def because in your mod it absolutely works.

All in all thanks for the useful input.  One thing that bugs me is that weapons are way too powerful (a CAR15 destroys a Technical with just a few rounds), I'd like to lower some values in the ammo.def but at the same time I don't want to ruin the action of the gameplay.  Using realistic ammo damage values would be game-breaking whenever you have to destroy many vehicles and such.
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Baldo_the_Don on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:30 pm

Well, I figured out the VBL problem. The very last line of the weapon.def is the end tag for the VBL turret entry. All that's needed is one more line return so that the last line of the weapon.def is an empty line under the end tag.

I actually remember that problem. I'm fretting now that I forgot to fix it.

As for obscuring map symbols, I honestly think it's a bad idea to make these things invisible by default. A map maker can choose to make power-ups and armories invisible, but I feel that forcing players to explore and remember is unecessarily picky. I mean, the theory is that Delta operators train for years to keep things like this in mind, but map symbols, ammo counts, weapon icons, stance indicators, crosshairs, and the spin map itself are just visual tools for players to make up for that lack of training, you know? If you start reevaluating how much HUD information to display, well, where will you stop?

Alternatively, the items.def could be edited to default these items to be invisible, then mappers can still have the option to make them visible.

As for the overpowered weapons, I remember that issue being one of the things I fixed in later mods (after I noticed two shotgun blasts would take out any technical... embarassing...), although part of that fix was rebalancing ammo damage values as well as hp and armor values on a lot of the items in the items.def. Personally, I think being able to significantly damage any vehicle with 5.56mm ammo is not realistic, and at least one of my later mods gives all vehicles more armor than the 5.56mm weapons can chew through, and 7.62mm weapons need to get more ammo into them than before.

Oh, I made it complicated, but logical.

I say again, I'm willing to help with all this. I'm just afraid Tony991's gonna find out about it and chew me a new one for spending time on other mods when the NSODL is still unfinished.

Oh, dear [DEITY OF YOUR CHOICE], what am I doing with my life?!

Edit: No knife-sprint?! I don't know if I can agree with that. Maybe I can, I guess.

Baldo_the_Don
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Actually I have created that VBL problem, because I modded your weapon.def, the one that comes with your latest available mod from DFReload, and I remember to have removed that last void line.

About the map symbols I'm sorry to say it will stay like this for a while, there is something else I'd like to work on.  Thanks for the advices, anyway the last thing I want is to keep you busy with my work in progress mod, feel free to finish the NSODL mod (even though I hate zombies-related stuff, but not everyone is like me).

Ha ha! You noticed the no knife-sprint!  I know this is an unpopular move, but the idea behind my decision is that you always have a certain amount of weight to carry that affects your speed.  Short version, when you switch to the knife you don't throw your weapons away, that's it.  I made so many other small changes to almost everything, even maps (check .wac and .pcx files if you're curious or have time to waste).
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tedsmelly on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:51 pm

Well Blaze, mighty fine work. I really liked what I saw. The skins and sounds give the game a fresh feel and look, no doubt.

When making any Mod you try to be as realistic as possible with an element of game play to give balance. People are very picky about weapons and that is usually the main focus of your Mod.

If you are lucky like me you can Mod multiplayer Co-Op and create awesome overkill weapons and have fun smashing AI. I have an extract from our TIOcoop V1.9.2 Mod and it is a small unfinished Mod for BHD. It is simular to what you are doing only in multiplayer.

tedsmelly
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile http://www.tiocoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Baldo_the_Don on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:38 pm

With the Multiplayer main button disabled, players can no longer access the Auto-Reload toggle. Question: How should we fix this? Maybe reactivate the Multiplayer main button, also allowing Co-op? Or move the Auto-Reload toggle to, say, the Loadout screen, perhaps?

Edit: Put a copy of the Auto-Reload toggle on the SP Loadout screen. It looks fine, works well.

Edit: I meant I actually edited a new Auto-Reload toggle to the SP Loadout screen. And edited Options screen to remove the Update button. Because of the fun!

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Baldo_the_Don
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:08 pm

Well I must have done something wrong, because my multi-player works also lol.You said to extract it in your bhd folder right?
Question

LoneWolf
Super Admin
Super Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Baldo_the_Don wrote:With the Multiplayer main button disabled, players can no longer access the Auto-Reload toggle. Question: How should we fix this? Maybe reactivate the Multiplayer main button, also allowing Co-op? Or move the Auto-Reload toggle to, say, the Loadout screen, perhaps?

Edit: Put a copy of the Auto-Reload toggle on the SP Loadout screen. It looks fine, works well.

Yep, seems to be a very good idea, although I've thought of putting it in the Player profile selection menu, as it was in the official demo of the game IIRC.  Thanks for the precious input, I'll look into it.

LoneWolf, you're right, everything goes to the bhd folder, add "/s /d" to your shorcut properties.  I've included a ReadMe in the package, it explains it a bit better, although with the limitations of my English.
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:59 pm

I'm very curious about your mod updates, Baldo.  Have you made new different sight targas?  Because your ones included in my package are already awesome!  In your last post you added an Edit; I didn't understand if you have already put the auto-reload toggle in the SP loadout screen or if it was just a suggestion.  If you did, can you please tell me where to look?  It's been a while since I edited .mnu files.

LoneWolf, check my last post at page one of the thread
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Baldo_the_Don on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:06 am

I edited my edit about the dfvmenu.mnu edit. (Hee!)

And yeah, I made even better targas than the Weapon Mod targas. The best ones are in the latest version of the NSODL mod, the 130118 version that I have on my hard drive. The problem is that not all the original DFBHD weapons are in the NSODL, so I haven't made optimal targas for the CAR15, for instance, and the targas for the M16/M203 are tinted brownish, like the M16/M203 in the NSODL is.

I need to check out some kind of upload situation... but later, I have domestic duties to attend to right now.

Baldo_the_Don
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:11 pm

Thanks, Baldo, no problems, I'll wait.  BTW I once downloaded the NSODL mod although I hate zombie-stuff; I noticed the new sight targas and for sure a lot of NSO weapons have been improved by your work. 

For once i had the idea of adding more weapons to my mod, but the ones in other mods (NSO, Insurgency, etc.) represent newer weapons that were not available back in 1993, the setting of the BHD.  I noticed that if I add a weapon it can be chosen in all missions.  The same thing happened with Team Sabre weapons, they are available in 1993 even though the G36 was still a prototype back then, if I'm not mistaken.  The only way to limit weapon choice would be to edit the missions, but the original ones then get lots of broken events and become unplayable, damn.
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:26 pm

Are they anyway you can add the AK74 and AK47 to the mod, those are nice weapons to.I know I d-loaded a weapons mod for IC4 and it had AK74 and AK47 that you could use just a thought.

LoneWolf
Super Admin
Super Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:34 pm

Isn't IC4 a Joint Ops mod? Because .3di models of later Novalogic games can't be ported back to DFBHD, otherwise I would have done lots of things, pity. Maybe in the future someone will make a program to convert these new .3di filetypes to the old DFBHD format.
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Yes it is I didn't know if you could do that or not, your right it would be nice though lol. Mod is nice bud great job keep up the good work.
cheers

LoneWolf
Super Admin
Super Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:22 pm

Baldo, I need to thank you a lot because time ago you complained about some missing map symbols.  I remade the targa file that controls them, it includes all symbols and guess what?  The targa file, in the mod version I've sent you guys, is scaled improperly, meaning that some symbols are slightly misplaced or wrong in size.  Now all of this is fixed.  BTW credit for these symbols goes to Novalogic, they come straight away from an old beta of dfx2.

I'm still not sure if next release will be public, anyway you guys will get it.  I've reworked the Colt. 45 skin as you advised, Baldo.  Moreover I've modified some tiles' .tga files so some maps have different tiles when compared to stock (I always hated tiles in stock 3rd Colombian mission, now they're better).

All in all lots of small tweaking here and there that sometimes won't be noticed (I'm a perfectionist), maybe I'll do more in the next days.
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:00 am

Next release is pretty close, it isn't complete like I want, I haven't changed any sounds as of now.  Some skins are still WIP, as well as new menu screens.  There are some changes here and there in some sp missions (mostly I removed SSNs that were misplaced in two or more missions).  Gotta take care of some things first, but do not expect such a big change.  Anyway next mod package will include a new repainted terrain I made and that is used by the upcoming Op. Barras map, as well as three terrains from the NSO mod (although unofficially, I don't have permission for these, I don't know how to contact their creators, but they'll get credit of course).
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:12 pm

So if you have this in bhd mod's it's up for d-loads then right,as long as your a registered member.

LoneWolf
Super Admin
Super Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:58 pm

Blaze you may wanna up-load your mod to DFReload and DFBarracks not to many playing bhd anymore I don't thank. I've been playing alot of joint-ops IC4 myself,taking a little break from bhd,co-op maps for IC-4 is a challenge for one person lol but alot of fun.

LoneWolf
Super Admin
Super Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top