In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 18 on Tue May 03, 2016 11:17 am

Next Mod Release, your answers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Next Mod Release, your answers

Post by Blaze on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:37 am

Santa Claus is a bit late this year. I need to tell you guys something regarding the mod, since I don't want to disappoint you with next release.
With the next release you can expect some new skins for weapons, characters (snow skins are only work in progress), vehicles, foliage, but mostly it will be a showcase of the terrain conversions work done by 2DNED and me.  

So next release will NOT contain the following (but are meant to be included in the future):
-Multiplayer (I need to re-add it to the menu)
-Comanche 4 items converted by 2DNED (I need to improve skins, sounds, etc.)
-Joint Ops items and weapons (this is just a wish for next year, I need all help I can get to find a way to properly convert them back to DFBHD engine)

Moreover I still have to create a packed pff, because it's easier for me to make changes to it while it is still unpacked. So, here come the questions; do you want to wait a few more days so I can improve the terrains, or would wait way longer so that I can include something else (new items maybe)? Do you want the mod to be packed (which I do know it is more preferable since the mod it's over 2GB with over 1,800 files)? I can make a packed pff but I need to compress most of the .tga textures to .dds and that will take time. If you want an installer I can try and make one with a freeware software, Install Creator, and that will take some time too.

I'm confident that I'll manage to give you a release soon before or after the New Year's Day (hence why I said Santa Claus is late, LOL)
What do you think?

Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Next Mod Release, your answers

Post by Baldo_the_Don on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:21 pm

My opinion might be biased, but my experience is that if you release the mod too soon, you'll regret it.

I say take your time, and release it when YOU are ready to. I'd rather wait for a more polished mod.

Just keep in mind... when you finally release the mod, you'll be watching the upload progress bar, and somewhere between 25 and 33 percent, you'll have the most amazing epiphany about something you could've done better in the mod, and you'll rage against the unjust universe that cursed mankind with such flawed think-meat, and you might want to stew over your incompetence. Don't do that. It's an inevitable part of brainwork that the best ideas for a project come to you when you're convinced the project is done. It happens to all of us.

The NSO Deadline Mod at NovaHQ.net

Baldo's Mod Pack - Click here, find out more!

Right-click this link and choose "Save Target" to download the 13.9MB Baldos_Mod_Pack.zip from C.PPN02!

Also available from DFReload: Click here!

Baldo_the_Don
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/BaldotheDon

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:33 pm

I'm with Baldo,wait until you have everything the way you want it,that way you want have as many update's.

LoneWolf
Super Admin
Super Admin

View user profile http://lonewolfs.makeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tedsmelly on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:35 pm

What Baldo Said - My experience is that if you release the mod too soon, you'll regret it.
I say take your time, and release it when YOU are ready to. I'd rather wait for a more polished mod.

(Can't find the quote box)

Release a more polished Mod showcasing all the good additions and fixes. Let the public be amazed at what you have done already and where you are heading. Let them enjoy seeing and playing a well appointed beta and keep them eager for the next installment or the final.

I believe you should have always had the mod packed in a PFF and an installer made. It leaves your game folder tidy and neat, you have desktop shortcuts and an un-installer for easy removal. Once you have the installer made, it is a test for it to be installed on different operating systems that your helpers and testers have.

You can send your additional files or edited files to your helpers and they can pack the files in the PFF themselves. It's not hard for them to use the PFF utility.

tedsmelly
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile http://www.tiocoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:54 am

Fact is I'm rather happy with the mod, in fact all I have to do now is to polish some terrain conversions, that's all. All I was asking was about the content (atm just new skins, fixes and terrains), because with a later release you can obviously expect more. I'd like to give you guys a glimpse of the mod, that's all. 

After all consider it as a demo, or private beta, not something I'd like to see as final and released somewhere else (with the exception of Nova Outpost), I just want to share with you the work that I've done so far, with the heavy contributions by 2DNED. That way you can tell me what you think about it, and so in the following release, after this one I planned, you can expect new items, instead of terrains. Then fixes and polishing will follow and the final version will be closer than ever.

All in all thanks for the input, I have no problems in making an installer and a packed pff. I'll take my time in polishing the terrains too, then I'll release it. I want to hear from you mappers especially, there are so many terrains to play with, it's like the AW2 mod for Joint Ops.

Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:14 am

Sent me a link to it Blaze I'll check it out.What do I need to do un-install the old files?

LoneWolf
Super Admin
Super Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:27 pm

I still have to make a packed pff and an installer, so wait because it will take some time.  I'll release it by the end of the year, or in the first days of the coming year.

Yes, when the new mod will be available, you must remove the old version first, so many little changes have been made to the mod itself.

Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2DNED on Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:34 pm

As said release when your ready is my thoughts.

I was thinking did you want to do a private release first to see if others can find any bugs or issues before the official release?

I understand your proud of what you have done and want to get it out there but as Baldo said at the last minute you might think of something.

2DNED
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:48 pm

2DNED wrote:I was thinking did you want to do a private release first to see if others can find any bugs or issues before the official release?

I understand your proud of what you have done and want to get it out there but as Baldo said at the last minute you might think of something.

Exactly, it's nothing official, consider it as another beta version of the mod, I can't stand the idea that you all are being left behind with the old version. The more input I get, the better. And of course I won't be completely happy with the mod, there is still a lot I want to do, but I'd be glad to share what we've done so far, so guys like LW can start making maps with new terrains.

So I'm exactly doing what Baldo says, this is not a final release at all, so I have no problems to share this unfinished product, let's say. Instead, I would feel a bit guilty if I don't give you guys anything to play with, after all the support you've given me in developing the mod of my dreams. I'm taking my time, but there is enough content that you guys can test already, at least before moving to the addition of new items, which will be the next biggest update I plan, and that will take a lot of time to make, months for sure.

Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:08 pm

Send me a link to it,and I'll look at the new terrain's and stuff like that. Maybe like you said make a map or two.I have a lil map pak for the mod anyway contain's about 6 or 7 map's already.
study

LoneWolf
Super Admin
Super Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:07 am

Sure, I'll upload it to DropBox and make a link for everyone here, but I have to finish polishing the terrains first.

Looking forward to your map pack, LW; it is indeed a welcome present for Christmas Smile

Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:04 pm

I am afraid that release will take a bit longer than expected, due to RL.  Sorry guys.

Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:18 am

Since i decided to take it slower, (I have less free time recently), following Baldo's suggestion, I'm tweaking some other things like the new skins/textures I made and that I'm not happy with.

In other news, Baldo, do you have anything that you would like to see into the mod? A long time ago we discussed about updated targas for the weapons sights, even though the ones from your Folly mod are top notch already IMHO.

Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Baldo_the_Don on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:22 am

Oh, brother, have I got some catching up to do.

I'll get back to this thread soon...

The NSO Deadline Mod at NovaHQ.net

Baldo's Mod Pack - Click here, find out more!

Right-click this link and choose "Save Target" to download the 13.9MB Baldos_Mod_Pack.zip from C.PPN02!

Also available from DFReload: Click here!

Baldo_the_Don
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/BaldotheDon

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:53 am

Baldo, I've got something for you; with an alternative BMS to MIS converter, I was able to edit a Team Sabre mission without breaking the events as it usually happened.  This means that release for the next version will be postponed, but then again you all will gain a much better experience by re-playing the Team Sabre missions I'll edit.  I'll fix as much bugs as possible, and at the same time some things that bugged me quite a bit storyline wise, both in TS and BHD.

Now I must find a way to make sure that stock TS are not read by the game, otherwise you'll end up with double missions appearing at the mission selection screen. Worst solution, but it works, is to eliminate the stock SP missions from TS .pff.  Renaming the edited Team Sabre missions won't work, because then we lose the background music.

If you guys have ideas or bugs you notice that you'd like to see fixed in the stock single player missions, let me know.  I know sp might be boring, but in the mod version I have it's already hard on easy difficulty level, you'll deal with better AI, both enemy and friendly.

Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:31 pm

So I was able to edit all Team Sabre missions, fix some events and AI properties, add and/or replace some items, fix badly placed items, I even added an additional teammate to some Team Sabre missions since I think it's rather stupid that a three men team is sent against an army of rebels. So in the stock missions where you have two teammates, now you have three teammates (this was also done because according to the .wav files listed in the TSBHD04.wac, there are three different voice actors that act as your teammates, but you're only with two in the stock mission). I really may add some variety to the missions, different character skins (more different SAS teammates, Rangers amd so on) and even some new unique vehicles (graciously converted from C4 by 2DNED or re-skinned BHD vehicles by yours truly) may be added to each mission to make sure the missions don't look a cut and paste of BHD stuff.

I'm doing my best to enhance the sp experience, but I'm afraid that my mod is going to require its own folder since for the edited missions to appear properly in the game's menu, I have to replace the stock ones in the game's .pff; adding the edited missions to the mod's .pff won't overwrite the originals.

I'll keep you posted with development. Damn if I didn't discover this thing about editing TS missions, now I would have completed my work on terrains, which as of now is on hold.

Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:18 am

So I've been offline due to a damned university exam, now I have some free time.

All singleplayer missions of BHD and TS are being edited/reworked with additional detail and fixes. I'm planning to make the BHD missions more true to the real life events of 3rd and 4th October 1993, thanks to the Black Hawk Down book by Mark Bowden.  BTW a new release date has been set but it's a secret, it isn't too far away though.  Mod will be released as is, since I just need some feedback about it. Stay tuned!

Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:14 am

Well I'm still tuned in lol.
study

LoneWolf
Super Admin
Super Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:44 pm

Mod is coming next weekend, LW. I wish there were more items for you mappers, apart from that, lots of terrains await you.

Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:38 am

Good deal maybe this mod will bring back some of the old player's and get some good map's for it,tony991 make's some killer maps man.Where you gonna have download's for it here and Nova-Outpost?

LoneWolf
Super Admin
Super Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Mod will be available here for sure, will have to check with Blade if he can upload it to Nova-Outpost, due to the mod's big size.

Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:47 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top