In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 19 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Difficulty Levels

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Difficulty Levels

Post by Blaze on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:44 pm

Does anybody know if there is a file which controls the difficulty levels? For instance the amount of damage the player takes when on easy, medium and hard difficulty levels, and so on.
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Difficulty Levels

Post by Baldo_the_Don on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:26 am

As far as my testing has shown, the only thing the difficulty level changes in DFBHD is how many hit points you get. Normal is 100 hp, Easy is 200 hp, and Operator is 50 hp.
Baldo_the_Don
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/BaldotheDon

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Hmm, so I guess it's hardcoded, there is no simple way to alter those hitpoints when playing on Easy, I guess.  I asked because there is a bug in the game when playing on Easy level; if you jump from a helo during one of the sp missions, when you hit the ground you survive the fall.  This doesn't happen on Normal or Operator levels.

I also tried to reduce the hp for the sp characters in the items.def, from 100hp to 70hp, maybe a lower value could work, but doing so messes up the difficulty levels way too much.
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Baldo_the_Don on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:16 am

I once did extensive testing on fall damage, but the notes are not available to me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that a fall higher than 10m causes a maximum 128 damage, so Easy will leave you with 72 hp. I'd say that's more of a feature than a bug.

There's some .wac coding you could use to detect a player's hp and adjust events accordingly, but I honestly think that explaining in the mission briefing that the mission is optimized for Normal difficulty and Easy might make stupid things happen would be a lot easier.

Then again, the clever player can .wac up some God Mode, if need be, so I think it'd be best for you to just let a player survive choosing to jump out of a helicopter than to wrack your brain trying to ensure he dies if he does.
Baldo_the_Don
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/BaldotheDon

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Actually I'd say it's a bug, since you can jump from an helo at whatever height and survive improbable falls, and you are able to freely explore a singleplayer map when you shouldn't (Team Sabre maps are not worth it). Don't get me wrong, this only applies to singleplayer, in fact in multiplayer none of this happens (you take "correct" damage, you can survive some falls, but not those from improbable heights). Moreover, I think that either the player gets more hp on Easy, or that the fall damage is less when on Easy. Anyway, I see that it can't be "fixed" as I'd like to, so I think I should concentrate about other things for the mod.
Blaze
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top